Unit 3 : Environment - Tableux Vivants  

Posted by Aj

After the brief I was quiet delighted that we finally get a chance to use my technical skills and art for the project. Main aim for the project is to combine the idea of tableaux vivants, which in simple terms means " An Image that tells a story". So we had to bring a models and digital drawing to create a final image. We also had a look at the concepts of the uncanny, which altogether make this project a very interesting yet quite a difficult one.

I am looking forward to researching a lot of different ideas and thoughts, i already had loads of different ideas and thoughts going through my head during the brief. We also had a look at "Unheimlich" or the "unhomely", a rather interesting concept and once it was explained I realised it is used in a lot of horror movies, however the uncanny is something all horror movies use to create a sense of ambiguity in the audiences.

During the brief we also had a look an many different artists who have worked with the subject of uncanny in there pictures. We also talked about the different croping and framing each of these artists used in there pictures to give you a sense of uncanny.


This was one of  the images that really caught my eye, as this is a real picture of a woman jumping of a building. This image has a sense of the Clam before the storm, everything is still and frozen, you can only imagine what's going through the women's mind, a true sense of uncanny.

I am really looking forward this project, it should be a lot of fun and a lot of hard work too.

This entry was posted on Thursday 10 December 2009 at Thursday, December 10, 2009 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

2 comments

Hi AJ, your blog looks great but I was wondering if you could tell me the name of the artists that used the crop etc. Give a little more detail in your blogs on who you are looking at, why and how did they influence your thinking. It makes for better reading and it may open up dialogue with others in the group. Keep going though, I look forward to reading more.

10 December 2009 at 16:50

Alison is being diplomatic, Aj - I'm less so, as you already know; in light of our conversations and your recent feedback, I'm amazed that you're not making more of an effort to impress... you're making my teaching life dull and 'parental' - just get on with it - no crap excuses or charming smiles - make something happen and engage...

12 December 2009 at 10:34

Post a Comment