Portrait Ideas  

Posted by Aj

 I am just going to quickly talk about the different ideas that i have had about my portrait throughout the last few weeks. Main thoughts that came to my mind first were, I wanted to do a portrait were I could should show that different emotions that i was going through and also the fact that I travelled away from home.

Idea 1



This was me trying to draw myself in a more conventional way of how portraits are done, the idea came from the artist Albert Durer, I liked the way he was able to show a progress of his life through his portraits. I was trying to get a similar effect through my portrait. However I found that it still wasn't expressing the emotions that I wanted for the portrait to show.

Idea 2

Not being able to express things the way i wanted, it made me look towards Gerhand Richter, her work was very interesting, especially the one were she had her head turn completely. This gave a sense of mystery and showed us that the artists wanted the viewers to try and imagine what she was going through. So i went a head and tried to do a similar effect, but by using some of the new vector techniques I learned in technical lessons.


 Here I used illustrator to draw myself looking away from the viewers, this gives a sense of mystery once again. I made the background black to add emphasis to the character in the middle and also you can see a show of London scenery in the face, I did this to show that I was missing home or the place were I was from.

After this i was still searching for a method were i could express more emotion, I turned my attention to photography. I didn't have a great camera or a studio so i had to do with what I had. So I tried playing around with lighting a bit to try and give a sense of sadness or sorrow.

Idea 3



 Here i was trying to capture the emotions that I was going through at that particular time. I light casts shadow on the other side of the face almost giving a sense of sadness and sorrow in the portrait.


Here once again i am trying to portray to the viewers a glimpse of the characters dark and light side. I believe that we all have a mask of some sort that we wear at all times. We never really reveal ourself to others, so my final portrait will be based upon this idea.

This entry was posted on Friday 23 October 2009 at Friday, October 23, 2009 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

2 comments

I like the one which is ..Vector drawing? (I guess?)
And ofcourse, your fynal portrait you presented at the crit presentation! It's great to me, because I like when the work is looking great aestheticaly. :)

23 October 2009 at 20:54

thanks jj your was really awesome as well :)

26 October 2009 at 10:26

Post a Comment